.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Friday, October 07, 2005

Insufficient Conviction

It’s amazing how a seemingly non-sinful thing is sometimes more convicting to me than the really obvious sins.
Whenever I take out the trash to the dumpster, and sometimes when I just put a piece of trash in our trashcan inside, a strong feeling of guilt washes over me. It’s quite strong and it hits me when my arm makes that arc to swing the trash bag into the dumpster. “There’s so much trash on our earth and I just contributed a whole bagful to it.” And I picture a monstrous pile in a landfill consisting solely of the bags of trash I personally contributed to it and I feel a twinge of nausea.
And yet, the more morally wrong and sinful things can often not even faze me. A mean thought about someone, a “little white lie”, borrowing something without asking.
(Granted, the overarching concept of piling up trash in landfills is irresponsible in our stewardship of the Earth and therefore sinful in it’s own right, but then you get into the whole “that’s just how it works in the society I live in” debate and it gets messy.)
So, my point is that I should be more sensitive to the other junk in my life than I am to the junk I take to the dumpster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home