.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Friday, June 02, 2006

"That's B-E-E"

Thirteen-year-old Katharine Close from NJ just won the National Spelling Bee with the word "ursprache."
I was standing in the lobby of the School of Journalism, where there is a huge-screen tv that must be permanently tuned to CNN, when I saw the report. I'm not even joking, I totally teared up when they showed her response to her correct answer. I'm a sucker for an emotional winning moment.

The runner-up lost on the word "weltschmerz". I thought it was interesting that the last two words were german. I totally would have won that spelling bee. "That's B-E-E." (from Spellbound)

2 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger kc said...

Yeah, I'm a fellow dork. Normally TV-less, I went to a friend's house and hopped between the Office and the Bee. I didn't get a single word correct until the last two. DEUTSCH MACHT SPASS!

 
At 6/03/2006 12:59 PM, Blogger sarahanne said...

Actually, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even know about the championship until the report about the winner. Had I known that...
1) "...I would have ordered a much bigger sandwich."
2) I would have stayed home from work and thrown a killer party
3) I would have DVR-ed it

Das stimmt! Deutsch macht spass, und ich mag die buchstaben!

(p.s. i'm totally psyched that there were 4 episodes of "the Office" last week. we haven't watched them yet because we like to make it a family activity.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home