.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Friday, February 24, 2006

Home Depot

I spent a wonderful 45 minutes in Home Depot on Tuesday. I love home improvement and hardware stores. I think my fondness stems from my environment growing up. My dad is an engineer and thus built most of the additions onto our house by himself. Granted it took a total of 11 years to finish all his plans, but it was great watching him work.
From a young age my brother, sister and I were surrounded by plywood, sheet rock, nails, 2x4s, measuring tapes, ladders, saws, and the smells of wood, paint and the unique metallic smell of the Craftman tools in my dad's toolbox. To this day, the sharp smell of wrenches, screwdrivers, and hammers makes me feel nostalgic.
Back to my Home Depot excursion.
I went to get wood for the portable ceramics workspace I'm making so I can do some work at home. I walked slowly down the wood aisle, taking in the beauty and the smell of the raw materials. So many boards to choose from. A builder's paradise. A layman's jungle. I found my 2'x4' piece of plywood and some other boards for storage. I then went to Walmart to get the canvas to wrap around and staple to the plywood and drove home with my spirit soaring.

1 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 11:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Woah! Cool...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home