.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Thursday, December 01, 2005

People Crack Me Up

In the last 24 hours I have witnessed people doing and saying some really entertaining things…

1) At work last night I make a follow-up “how are things going” call to the parents of one of our new guitar students at the music studio. His grandfather answered. He had a very strong, southern mumbly accent so I didn’t always catch what he was saying. He started off with “he’s liking the lessons” and then somehow got going on “we were gone last weekend and caught at 20lb fish (in which I feigned interest) and how his grandson likes to go camping and they’re going to Puerto Rico in the summer. I had no idea where it was going, and I couldn’t find a moment to slip in a conversation-concluding “well I’m glad his lessons are going well.” The man went mumbling on about how his brother was a natural musician and all the people he knew who had talent and how isn’t it interesting how some people can just pick up an instrument and play, and then even a rabbit trail of “they were Liz’s kids. No, I think maybe they were Bonnie’s kids. Well, there were about six of them and they kinda had a band goin’…” I couldn’t believe it; he went on like that for 10 minutes and I only understood about half of what he was saying. It was such a bizarre conversation. One for the books.

2) A woman at my other job this morning is totally intent on giving one of my coworkers a special surprise treat to celebrate her 5 years working at the Center. A fantastic idea and very sweet. She asked me what her favorite kind of cake/cookies were and I said I didn’t know, but then added – totally jokingly – that I see her eating a lot of sunflower seeds and drinking a lot of Mt.Dew. So suddenly she got all inspired and excited and snuck into the woman’s office to look in her lunch bag to see if she drank diet or regular Mt.Dew. I’ve been laughing to myself this whole time, incredulous that she’s totally serious about lavishing the woman with sunflower seeds and Diet Mt.Dew. She thinks it's a quality treat, despite the fact that the woman eats/drinks them all the time.

Never a dull moment at the places I work. I think I’ve laughed at the actions of people more in the last 24 hours than I have in a long time. Not the malicious kind of laughter, but rather the “people are wonderfully entertaining” kind of laughter.




P.S. "I caught you a delicious bass."
(Sorry, I couldn't help it.)

1 Comments:

At 12/01/2005 5:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Southerners are great! That's the way life is supposed to be. he he. You prolly made his day.

"Hey, that girl from the music studio is so nice, she called to ask how the family was doing!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home