.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Home and an 8x10 Glossy of Me

“Sally sat down in the armchair and stretched herself… She surveyed the room proudly. It was certainly beginning to look cozy. The pictures were up, the carpet down, the furniture very neatly in order. For almost the first time in her life she had the restful sensation of being at home. She had always longed, during the past three years of boarding-house existence, for a settled abode, a place where she could lock the door on herself and be alone. The apartment was small, but it was undeniably a haven. She looked about her and could see no flaw in it… except… She had a sudden sense of something missing.
‘Hullo!’ she said. ‘Where’s that photograph of me?’”

-The Adventures of Sally by P.G. Wodehouse

As I was reading this bit, I was able to relate entirely to her frame of mind. Seeking the satisfaction in having one’s own space, arranged just as one wanted, with personal touches. I felt we were kindred spirits, of the same mind... until… that last sentence where she exclaimed “Hullo! Where’s that photograph of me?” I burst into laughter. I imagined a black & white, 8x10 glossy of her in a professional portrait pose, beautifully framed and strategically placed so that all her guests would see it and compliment her. And it instantly reminded me of Eddie From Ohio’s lyrics “eight-by-ten glossies of me-eeee!
Silly Sally.

1 Comments:

At 11/23/2005 10:46 AM, Blogger sarahanne said...

p.s. unfortunately, that's not an actual picture of me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home