.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Moving Dream

Yesterday a friend had a dream about me moving, and then last night I found myself having a dream about me moving.

Scene 1:
I’m driving out to Rhode’s Furniture on a Saturday to take advantage of their going-out-of-business sale but realize when I arrive at 6:00 that they had actually closed at 5:00. And the storefront is at the base of a gigantic tree so it is really just tiny furniture. “The furniture has to be at least…three times as big!”
Scene 2:
I’m supposed to be meeting up with friends who are going to help me move into a new house and I was stressing. I get to the house and find that everyone has already moved all of my stuff and unpacked and decorated and everything. The first room I see is my bedroom, which is up a floor and a half in some loftish style. It is very, very small but has real, matching furniture in it. (In real life all my furniture was either found/free or bought at Wal-Mart) The rest of the house had a Winchester Mystery House feel to it – the architecture: secret halls and doors and rooms, not the dark, spooky stuff. I notice there are keys in a couple of the door locks with cute little tags on them. One says “Amy” and another “Sarah” – someone had even gone out and made copies of the keys to give to my usual apt key-holding friends. I felt so loved and taken care of – touched by my friends’ thoughtfulness. I went downstairs and was trying to figure out where to put my couches. Apparently the previous owners hadn’t actually moved out completely so the living room was full of ugly wall hangings and wallpaper and fake plants and gaudy couches. I was disappointed that the room was so oddly shaped that couches didn’t fit well. I remember thinking to myself “I should have thought of that before I bought the place.”
Scene 3:
Everyone had left and I heard lots of noise outside. I walked out the front and realized for the first time that I had a huge porch that wrapped around the house. “Wow, that’s cool,” I thought. I walked out and found about 20 college kids playing Ultimate Frisbee right up to my porch. Apparently there was a big neighborhood park in my backyard with no fence. The guys shouted a “hey, how’s it going” to me and went on with the game. They were very stereotypically fratboy-ish and obviously didn’t realize that I was an adult and was the new owner of the house. I think they wanted to have a cookout or something but I was annoyed that they weren’t taking me seriously and thought I was just another college kid when I was really a real adult.
Scene 4:
I found myself at the intersection of what seemed like Franklin St. and S. Columbia but it was bigger and all the cars were gone and there were crowds of people approaching the intersection from all sides. Then everyone stopped and I looked and people were in formation and started singing this song/anthem and doing some kind of choreographed dance, like it was something everyone knew if they were a resident of the town. Like singing/dancing the national anthem or something The person next to me elbowed me to join in but I had no idea what was going on and felt like I was going to get into trouble for it.

Then I woke up to find Applejack trying to monopolize the limited space on the couch.

1 Comments:

At 10/13/2005 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. Very deep, it all seems. Nice, the part about your house. (You really have buying on your mind!) The part with dancing in the street made me laugh out loud. Other stuff did, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home