.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Avocado Tally

The last time I was out in L.A. (two Christmases ago - visiting my brother) I found myself eating avocados with alarming consistency. If I recall correctly, I ate avocados (including the glorious avocado derivitive, guacamole) on 6 out of the 7 days I was in California that vacation.

Living in North Carolina, I get teased a lot for my affinity for avocado.
One of the best parts about going back to CA for a visit is the abundance of items on restaurant menus that include some form of avocado. Whenever I'm in my homestate, I make a point to avail myself of these offerings.

My avocado consumption on my most recent trip to CA:

Thursday
Grandma picked me up from the airport and we grabbed dinner at Red Robin. Turkey, avocado and bacon on a croissant. It seemed that avocado/guacamole was an ingredient on almost half of the sandwiches and burgers.
Friday
Breakfast was the 2nd half of the previous night's turkey avocado bacon sandwich. Lunch with bride-to-be, her mom, and bridesmaids was a cobb salad. What was on top? Oh, right. Avocado.
Saturday
Breakfast at IHOP with my aunt and uncle. It is important to note that, while IHOP is a chain, the menu varies regionally. There was no chicken-fried-(fill in the blank) on that menu, like there is in backwards places like the South, but there was plenty of the glorious fruit we know as the avocado. On the menu: Avocado and bacon omlet. I got The Hook Up.
Sunday
Lunch was a CPK turkey club = bacon and avocado. Dinner was a burrito from Baja Fresh, and that's spelled g-u-a-c-a-m-o-l-e.
Monday
A California day completely devoid of avocado. I felt lost.
Tuesday
Leftover half of CPK turkey club.

I didn't plan on giving bacon second billing, but let me just say that I like bacon. Obviously. Never gonna be a vegetarian, cuz I love me some bacon.

And now we come to our bonus item.
I had dinner with Sunghee at Indo Cafe and found this on their menu. You may not be able to read it, but it's an avocado shake. Not pictured: the avocado smoothie.
(Sorry kids, I didn't order it. I think you'll agree that the concept is downright disgusting)

2 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reason #63 to come to Charlottesville: We've got a place that serves avocado fries!

(p.s. I do a similar tally--but with pumpkin---ever day in October)

 
At 10/24/2006 11:21 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your love for the soft, green fruit. Or veggie? The abundance of it here is trumped only by the lack of a food tax. Ahh, the Left Coast...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home