.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Spotlight: KT Tunstall

I started hearing "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" on the radio last month and got hooked on KT Tunstall's catchy guitar rhythms and sultry voice, reminiscent of Fiona Apple. Whenever I'd hear the song it would make me almost think of some movie or something I'd seen that had that same rhythm and acoustic kick. I kept thinking it was an animated movie. Could that be possible? The monkeys in "Jungle Book"? Someone in "Aristocats"? It seemed silly - too childish. Then I finally got it. "The Triplets of Belleville" - that bizarre, almost beautiful but at the same time not, creatively rhythm-driven, old-school style animated movie.

It was the guitars and the foot stomping and the "woo-hoo... woo-hoo"ing. I felt brilliant to have figured out where my mind was catching the same style.
But on with KT Tunstall...

I have to share this awesome live video she did of "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" (the second part of #4, labeled "LIVE"). Check out the kick-ass machine she uses to layer her guitar and vocals to make it a one-man show with all the elements of a band. Awesome. If I could be a rock star, I'd want that machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home