.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Derisive Snickering

This phrase has been a frequent player in the spontaneous word-blurting phenomenon that goes on inside my head.
Derisive snickering.
What a great phrase! I'd love to work it into conversations, but for now it's just running around inside my head. And it's been bugging me that I can't pinpoint the source. I spent some time thinking about it yesterday. (Yes, I devoted a significant amount of time to it.) I couldn't remember hearing the adjective derisive with any other words besides synonyms of snickering.

Today I stumbled across it, merely by chance. Chai. That was it.
It's on the package of Oregon Chai, in the following context.
On the box of 8 individual packets of just-add-water chai there is a little conversation bubble that reads:

"Mispronunciation of Oregon Chai may result in derisive snickering.
Oregon \or-y-gun\ Chai \eye with a ch in front\"


I love those Oregon Chai people. It's great to love a product and also the people who make it.
So drink Oregon Chai, everyone.
Yes, you.

1 Comments:

At 3/17/2006 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Whenever you mention Chai I snicker--not derisively, but delightfully. Why?

It brings to mind a CD I have called "Txai" (same pronounciation) by Milton Nascimento. If you like Paul Simon you've probably heard him because he's on the "Rhythm of the Saints" CD. (My dad bought both, but I stole Txai. I should steal Rhythm of the Saints, too.) Trivia: there is a track on Txai featuring spoken-word poetry by River Pheonix.

Not that I've ever been a big fan, but I thought it was cool to find a Hollywood person on an obscure world music CD. Another cool fact: to record the album, Milton traveled through the forests of South America to record the native music of various indigenous tribes. Watching "End of the Spear" inspired me to listen recently... You can borrow it of you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home