.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Word of the Day: Penchant

I have words that pop into my head at strange times for no apparent reason.
Today, as I was walking to my car from the bus stop the word "penchant" materialized in my mind. Before I knew what I was doing, I was saying aloud "Penchant. Have a penchant for..." and I couldn't finish the sentence. "Penchant for... penchant for..." My gut told me it meant to have a predilection for something, but I didn't quite have the semantic confidence to finish my sentence. What if I was totally off on the usage? I became strangely self-conscious.
There was also a strong sense of deja vous. I think I've alighted the bus and had the word penchant pop into my head on previous occasions.
Hmm.

Penchant: A definite liking; a strong inclination

I was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home