.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Google Says Happy Birthday

Today is Louis Braille's birthday

I found this out when I went to the Google homepage today and saw this:


I love how Google makes a point to inform and educate the public through manipulations of their logo (It spells "Google" in braille). They decorate for the holidays and other significant days. I remember once they had a cartoon Einstein incorporated because it was his birthday that day. Google rocks. My friend Anne's boyfriend works for them and they get some mad perks. Like their cafeteria serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner... free. Lots of toys. Nap rooms too, I think. Brilliant. Now that's the way to retain your employees! Actually, here are the Top 10 Reasons to Work at Google

Back to braille.
Many years ago I tried to learn how to read braille. It wasn't a huge effort, but I checked a book out from the library and made a point to touch the braille on walls when I saw it. The only thing I remember is that if it's a number, the "pound sign" precedes it, which is a backwards "L" of dots. Like this:
Actually, here's an introduction to braille. After finding that page I think I want to try to learn it. It's a brilliant invention!

There was a character named Whistler in the movie "Sneakers" who was blind. There was this great scene where he discovers some crazy goldmine of computer code, reading it from a fast moving braille "screen".
Watch the movie - it's great.

1 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Whenever I try to feel Braille I marvel that people can actually read it, because I can't discern between characters. The dots are so small and close together, you have to be really sensitive. Braille is indeed cool. Thanks for the info!

Google rocks, too. Steve says they're the company to work for (he's a programmer).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home