.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Sunday, December 18, 2005

"I Am" vs. "I Do"


I am returning to my great love after a long hiatus.
I feel the freedom, financially and schedule-wise, to start taking ceramics classes again.
(cue choir of angels)

I love ceramics. I've loved it ever since that first day in high school when I plunged my fist into that lump of cold clay. With the slightest movement of my hand, I found I could move it, shape it, redefine it.
We're clay in The Potter's hands, the Bible tells us, and that is one of the most meaningful images to me with regard to my relationship with my Creator. I am that cold lump of clay and with the slightest movement God can move me, shape me, redefine me. It's beautiful.
It gives me goosebumps.

I was just reading a friend's post wherein she addresses her question: Is she a poet, or is she a person who occasionally writes poetry.
This has been a question that I asked myself when I was deep into developing my craft. Am I a potter or am I a person who does pottery?
Does it make a difference, linguistically? It does if you want your words to be meaningful. I have wonderful friends who encourage me in my craft and they would call me a potter before I would. The title frightens me somehow. It's as though once I officially call myself a potter, then all kinds of responsibilities and obligations tumble after that word. If I am a potter, then I must produce great works of art, I must sell my art, I must be brilliantly creative at all times. I hesistate to create that mental business card that reads Potter.

I feel it would be arrogant to give myself that title. Am I worthy of such a title. I don't feel brilliant, I just feel happy and inspired.
But then I look at friends of mine who "do" various forms of artistic expression and I don't hesitate to call them artists and actors, poets and writers. I see it and believe it in them, but it's harder to see it and believe it for myself.
Perhaps this will be a project for me: as I am changing the form of my lumps of clay I will also try to change the picture of myself as....an artist.

2 Comments:

At 12/19/2005 9:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good read.

Yes, you are a Potter, or Ceramicist, or Manually-Created Earthen Wares Engineer, or whatever the dignifying, PC term is. (I guess there aren't any Pottresses, are they?)

 
At 12/24/2005 11:38 AM, Blogger kc said...

"We're sculpted from youth; the chipping away makes me weary." Indigo Girls

 

Post a Comment

<< Home