.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

ORD vs. PDX: The Toilet Wars

On my last trip, the airports tried to do their best to impress me with the bells and whistles in their restrooms.

At Chicago's O'Hare airport they had automatic seat protectors.
There's a plastic covering - which reminded me of a shower cap - that covers the seat, and when you're done you push the button and it slides another length of the covering over the seat.
I was not impressed. Seems like a waste of plastic, especially if a user changes it when they're done and then the next person changes the unused one before they use it.
Plus, what our mothers told us for years about how you can catch diseases from toilet seats is just a myth.
The hover method works just as well as any seat cover or elaborate draping of a dozen strips of toilet paper. And it doesn't waste resources. AND it works your quads!

At the Portland (Oregon) airport each toilet had two options for flushing:
Flush up for #1 - uses less water
Flush down for #2 - uses more water than for #1
I especially love how they actually use the terms "#1" and "#2".
PDX wins!!!!!!!!!









(Update 11/17/07: They recently installed the dual flush system into the restrooms in my building at work! And here I thought it was all sci-fi, west coast technology.)

2 Comments:

At 11/21/2007 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe I'm reading this on my lunch...

Anyway, I like the armrest!

 
At 12/03/2007 2:32 AM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

Actually...

Since my dad picked up the weird virus Guillian Barre, it seems that I run into more people with equally weird stories.

In the past month, I have heard of two people who have been saddened by their public restroom experience. Your mom might be wrong about the diseases but those RASHES are no joke!

I love that you actually took a picture of the toliet. The plastic wrap would freak me out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home