.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Bodies, Beautiful Bodies

I'm so excited about a new exhibit that has come to Durham:
Bodies The Exhibition
I'd heard about it in the news awhile back but I think it was located in Florida at that point and I figured I'd never get a chance to see it. Of course, if it came to D.C., which I'm sure it will, I would make the trip for that (visiting friends, too, of course).
But here it is, at Southpoint Mall of all places! At first I couldn't imagine where they would set it up. Inside the mall next to Abercrombie & Fitch or The Gap? Across from the food court? Wisely, they've set it up in a detached building on "The Streets."

I completely understand how the idea of an exhibition of cadavers could be horrifying to some people. I, on the other hand, am totally fascinated by it. I think my personal beliefs about the human soul play a large part in my non-horrification (if that's not a word yet, it is now, citing LiD). I believe that the soul separates from the human body after death, and the physical body is nothing but a frame of cells.
My friend Sarah recently went to her grandma's funeral, which once again brought up the topic of cremation vs. burial. For me, I'm all about cremation. Citing my beliefs about the human soul and the physical body, I figure why take up space in the ground for something that's scientifically built to rot away? It made no sense for Sarah's grandmother to pay for an extra layer around her casket to delay the decay of her body 10 more years. It's still going to decay. I love Sarah's dad. He told his kids he wants to be cremated and have his ashes put in a leaf blower to be blown out across a lake, as a final farewell to the fish (he loves to fish).
I hereby make a formal announcement: I wish to be cremated. I don't need my ashes scattered anywhere, but if someone really wants to do that, they're welcome to find a place and do it. And then use the money that would have been spent on a casket, grave, etc. to throw a party. And be sure to serve mini quiches. Those things are yummy.

3 Comments:

At 4/05/2007 4:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

1. It's very ironic that dead bodies don't gross you out, but live bodies do (eye trauma, etc.)

2. Your too young to talk about being cremated or buried yourself. You still have lots of time to make up your mind, assuming that whoever handles your funeral arrangements honors your wishes. Your body could be put in an airtight glass box like Lenin and be set out in Wilson Library to be honored by people for generations.

 
At 4/09/2007 1:12 AM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

Haha. I agree with Eddie. Let's not start setting out those mini quiches for a long while!

 
At 4/09/2007 10:45 AM, Blogger sarahanne said...

1. Only the non-juicy dead bodies wont' gross me out. I like to think that I'd be find with cadavers in a lab, but chances are that they'd give me the heebie-geebies.

2. I can't imagine why I'd ever change my mind about being cremated - any other decision would just be an unnecessary hassle for my family. So if I've already decided, I might as well let people know, so there's no confusion when the time comes, whenever that is. And I'm an organ donor, so you're welcome to those if you need them. That is, before the cremation. I've already made my verbal will for my kitties' guardians. If Melanie is still on the West Coast, the Chases will assume custody of my cats to be raised as their own. Likewise, I'm the Chases' cats' guardians. You have to think about these things when you're a parent.
Lenin... ew.
By the way, you don't have to wait for me to die to enjoy some mini quiches. I'm going to serve those at my wedding, too! ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home