.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Saturday, August 26, 2006

"Sigh no more, ladies"

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more;
Men were deceivers ever;
One foot in sea and one on shore,
To one thing constant never;
Then sigh not so, But let them go,
And be you blithe and bonny;
Converting all your sounds of woe
Into "Hey nonny, nonny."

Sing no more ditties, sing no mo,
Or dumps so dull and heavy;
The fraud of men was ever so,
Since summer first was leavy.
Then sigh not so, But let them go,
And be you blithe and bonny,
Converting all your sounds of woe
Into "Hey, nonny, nonny!"

from Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing"

I recently watched the Kenneth Branaugh movie version of "Much Ado About Nothing" and I've got the verse above stuck in my head - alternating between Emma Thompson's Beatrice's rendition and the song version the men sing around the fountain.
I must say, Kenneth Branaugh is a fantastic Shakespearian actor. Add Emma Thompson and you can't possibly go wrong. In a discussion about the most disappointing Hollywood breakups, Thompson and Branaugh's was one of the saddest to me because they're such great actors together.

2 Comments:

At 9/28/2006 6:40 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

Sarah,

I'll have to agree about your assessment of 'Much Ado'. Wonderful film, sad that Emma and Kenneth are no more. It's one of my favorite films. Michael Keaton's character is beyond hilarious!

 
At 9/28/2006 8:35 PM, Blogger sarahanne said...

"Do not forget that I am an ass."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home