.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Word of the Week: Nee

Okay, so this word seems to have taken over my life.

née also nee (adj.)
1. Born. Used to indicate the maiden name of a married woman.
2. Formerly known as.
[French, feminine past participle of naître, to be born, from Old French naistre, from Latin nsc. See gen- in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.



Sarah declared nee to be the offical Word of the Week in our household, and we get imaginary points every time we use it.
What I want to know is whether it counts if I use it in a crossword puzzle.
I'm totally addicted to the crossword puzzle book that Mehend just gave me. It's a much-needed boost to my self-esteem. The cover doesn't indicate that it's a crossword puzzle book for people who suck at crossword puzzles, but that's what it is. I feel brilliant. I've flown through those things like a banshee this last week.

Back to "nee"...

I had never heard the word before, but it has shown up in 7 of the last 20 crossword puzzles I've completed.
The clues they've given for the word have been:
-Previously named
-Wedding announcement word
-Born as
-Originally named
-Named by birth
-Born (appeared twice)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home