.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Sound of Silence

Is it unusual for one's ears to ring because it is unexpectedly silent?

About 12 feet from my desk sits our loud server, and our front door is near the building's mechanical room. This means that I have a constant grating hum right here and the periodic 'chunk'ing, buzzing, and rumbling from the hall.
Our server savior Jim just turned off the server to perform some much needed maintenance and the silence is so strange. I'm experiencing the bizarre sensation of my ears swelling and expanding away from my head. They feel thick with sound, but there's no sound other than the clicking of my keyboard and the quiet chatting of some people in the office next door.
The absence of the noise that was always there almost makes me dizzy. I don't really know what to do with myself now that the server is down, because all the files I was working on are stored on the server. Well, I'm blogging. That solves that.

God bless our new friend Jim for fixing everything that our previous server person screwed up. He's like a ray of sunshine. Laugh if you want, but I think I'm falling in love with Jim.

2 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 4:02 AM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

haha. We all know I've fallen in love for sillier reasons...

You are allowed to respect him, to think very highly of him...

 
At 6/29/2006 8:40 AM, Blogger sarahanne said...

...to greatly esteem him. To like him.
"Esteem him? Like him? Use those insipid words again and I will leave this room this instant."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home