.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Personal Space Is Contextual


I think about this when I ride the bus to & from work.
Personal space rules and comfort levels tend to vary according to one’s surroundings. On a bus that is nearly empty, if I were to sit down in the seat next to someone, it would feel awkward, too close, and a little creepy. However, if the bus is totally packed and there is standing room only then it’s socially acceptable to be all up in each other’s space.
At the end of the workday the busses are always packed and if I’m lucky enough to get on one I usually end up with my face pressed up against some tall dude’s backpack with someone else’s arm reaching around mine to hold onto the hand bar.
It might be physically uncomfortable, but it’s completely socially acceptable.

1 Comments:

At 10/28/2005 12:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So in other words you're saying, "personal space is dynamic". haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home