.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Influence for Good

“The gentleman who sat at the speaker’s end of the table acknowledged the tribute with a brief nod of the head. It was a nod of condescension; the nod of one who, conscious of being hedged about by social inferiors, nevertheless does his best to be not unkindly. And Sally, seeing it, debated in her mind for an instant the advisability of throwing an orange at her brother. There was one lying ready to her hand, and his glistening shirtfront offered an admirable mark; but she restrained herself. After all, if a hostess yields to her primitive impulses, what happens? Chaos. She had just frowned down the exuberance of the rebellious Murphys, and she felt that if, even with the highest motives, she began throwing fruit, her influence for good in that quarter would be weakened.”

-from “The Adventures of Sally” by P.G. Wodehouse

It seems that Sally and I are not so different. There have been many instances in which I have chosen to hold to my influence for good when really all I want to do is throw things at people.

2 Comments:

At 10/20/2005 1:46 PM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

Wow, someone is advertising on YOUR blog. It makes me want to start THROWING FRUIT in protection of you.

 
At 10/20/2005 1:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Once the spam bloggers have found you, that means you've arrived! It happens to me, too. My theory is that Google actually has computers that do this automatically on the behalf of paid advertisers (I'm serious). I have to delete these whenever I post a new post. They don't come up on old ones, just new ones, sometimes immediately after you post--almost simultaneously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home