.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Deck the HALLS (tm)

I have the beginnings of a sore throat (boo! Hiss!) so I started poppin’ my HALLS brand throat lozenges today at work. While the first one was slowly dissolving in my mouth, the rush of menthol hit my sinuses and I found my inside-my-head voice sighing “aaah, Christmas.”

What?

Yes, you heard it. Halls cough drops remind me of Christmas. It all goes back to one year when my mom… er, Santa… included a pack of cherry-flavored Halls cough drops with the rest of our stocking stuffers. (My great-grandma had knitted all of us these ridiculously huge stockings and Santa had to resort to putting things like pencils, erasers, sticks of gum, pocket-sized Kleenex packs, Post-It notes, and… cough drops in them just to fill up the space.) Anyway, it was also the year that my sister and I both got our beloved Cabbage Patch Kids bed tents (I even found an old photo of us putting them up!)

The rectangular sticks of 9 square-shaped cough drops. Don’t you all remember them?
I swear those things tasted like candy when I was a kid. So, that night, I hid my pack of cherry Halls in the secret pocket of my Cabbage Patch Kids tent and ate one.
And then another.
And another.
Until I found myself eating the whole pack that night.

Mmmm... candyyyyyy.
In the years that followed, I would be mocked for my love of cherry-flavored cough drops.
But I have found some redemption in that, after searching on the web for a photo of HALLS cough drops, I should find them on a website called www.candyfavorites.com

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a soothed throat!


5 Comments:

At 11/30/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Gina said...

oh my goodness, what a great picture!

 
At 12/05/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL at you OD'ing on cough drops. :)

 
At 12/06/2006 4:55 PM, Blogger Ceeece! said...

I've been demoted!! You should change it to "rarely updated"

 
At 12/08/2006 12:39 PM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

Hahaha!

Have fun in Germany!

 
At 12/29/2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Mehend said...

I am concerned...No blog entry in a whole month! Had I not spoken with you over the phone recently, I would have thought you'd fallen from the face of the earth! Hope you are feeling better. Post some Germany photos, please!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home