.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Word of the Day: Oligarchy

(Note: This is actually a post I wrote back on October 9th, but it somehow got sucked back into Draftland, never to be seen again... until today)

ol‧i‧gar‧chy
1. a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.
2. a state or organization so ruled.
3. the persons or class so ruling.

I don't know why this word popped into my head this morning. I don't know the last time I read it, but I think the last time I said it was in my 11th grade history class.
However, upon reflection I find that it does have remarkable relevence in my life. Our neighborhood's Architectural (something something) Committee recently felt the need to mention in their newsletter that the committee is, in fact, "not a dictatorship."


Now I can say with confidence that
they are an oligarchy.


If they had claimed that title themselves, I would have at least admired them for that. As it stands, however, our household remains embittered by the group's endless chiding for letting grass grow too long or not seeding our yards enough. Apparently, there has been significant ill will between the committee, er, oligarchy, and some of the residents. Enough so that they had to write a letter to everyone saying they didn't mean to cause anger or resentment. They ended the letter by saying that they'd be sending another letter soon and asked us to not chuck it in the trash without reading it.
I think they actually said "chuck it".

P.S. Zoe went to town on the letter the other night and chewed pieces of it off.
Good kitty.

1 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Homeowners' associations can be hilarious, though if I'm honest with myself, I'd probably side with the manicured lawn gestapo.

Uptight people don't see themselves as uptight; they see themselves as idealists. But the key is for us all to learn to understand and work with one another so we can be a big happy family like Rodney King would have wanted.

I've heard of neighborhoods where they actually come around and measure peoples' grass. That's pretty nutty. Positive reinforcement would probably be better: awarding lawn of the week or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home