.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Sunday, July 23, 2006

"Foodcation" for short

My household went to Williamsburg, VA this weekend. It was packed with tourists doing their touristy things in the colonial historical part of town. Us? Well, we came for the food and nothing else. We were on a Food Vacation, or Foodcation for short.
Our first stop Friday night was Paul's Deli. At William & Mary, when you say "I went to the delis" you're usually saying you went out drinking with your pals. But we didn't go to Paul's to drink, rather to enjoy a great meal. Sarah and I got delicious turkey subs, mine with bacon, just like I'd always get in college. Lara boldly ordered the calzone despite the fact that no one offered to split one with her. The thing stretched the entire length of a large pizza pan. Needless to say, she didn't make it through the whole thing. Daniel ordered a rueben and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Next stop: the glorious Sno-to-Go!
I mis-spoke in an earlier post by calling them "sno-cones", as they are really called "snoballs." When hearing the word sno-cone, one usually envisions a cone-shaped paper tube filled with crunchy beads of ice that has had sticky, too-sweet syrup poured over it. Eventually, the syrup starts sinking to the bottom and you're left with a lump of crunchy ice and once you make it through that you're left with only a pool of syrup at the bottom.
Snoballs are VERY different, smooth like a Slurpee, only a little bit thicker. Order it "stuffed" and you'll get a layer of soft-serve in the middle and another dollop on top. Choose from over thirty flavors, like Bahama Mama, Tiger's Blood, Maui Wowie, and other concoctions, or you can stick with single flavors like cherry, raspberry, pineapple, etc. My personal favorite is stuffed rootbeer. It was delicious!

We drove to Richmond to stay the night. In the morning we were off again to Williamsburg. We spent the morning wandering down "DOG" Street (its official name being Duke of Gloucester Street), wandering in and out of shops, taking pictures of ourselves in the stocks and enjoying the fife and drum corps.
Then it was lunch time. And you know what that means...
CHEESE SHOP!!!!!!!!
I got to the front of the line and flowed out, "turkey on french with provolone, house, and sprouts." Because of the possibility of there being multiple Sarahs standing in line (in addition to our own), I gave them the name Betsy instead. They called "my" name and I grabbed my sandwich, a birch beer, and a cheesecake brownie and I was off to enjoy the tasty goodness.
It was ridiculously hot that day, so we spent most of the rest of the afternoon in the Barnes & Noble - the official campus bookstore - enjoying the A/C and some good books. We decided to have dinner in Richmond, but to stop at Sno-to-Go again on our way out of town.
But there was one more stop we had to make.
It was an event 6 years in the making.
I was going to finally return the silverware that I had stolen from the campus dining facility in the University Center my sophomore year, 9 years ago. At the time, I had justified my crime by saying that I was going to return them before I graduated. Needless to say, I never did. But I had promised myself that I would return them, and I wasn't about to break that promise - no matter how long it took. In fact, I have been to Williamsburg many times since I graduated and have even brought the silverware with me, but never got around to returning it.
But I always knew I would do it. It's a matter of principle, which is ironic, really, because if I was acting on moral principle at the time, I never would have stolen the darn things.
But I did it, and I beamed with pride. I even have documentation.
(insert picture here)
Our return to Sno-to-Go was great, as expected, and I savored my Bahama Mama.
Back at the hotel, we ordered dinner in and watched "The Fugitive" on TV. We ate the glorious, famous "Death By Chocolate" from The Trellis. Daniel took his Ambien and got hilariously loopy before he finally fell asleep. The next morning we woke up and ate the Big Apple Bagel muffins we had bought in Williamsburg the day before and we headed back home to Durham.

It was such a wonderful weekend, spending time with my housemates, with no pressures but to decide what we wanted to order from various menus.
(pictures will be added soon)

2 Comments:

At 7/24/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"I was going to finally return the silverware that I had stolen from the campus dining facility in the University Center my sophomore year, 9 years ago."

Haha. Sounded like fun; the weekend. And kudos for being so principled in your silverware returning. You'll become a millionaire now and all will be right with the world!

Hopefully I'll get to go to King's Dominion next month... some of the Durham lifegroup peeps are planning a trip.. My doc gave me the OK to ride rollercoasters (I can ignore the blood pressure warning signs)--you should have seen how my face lit up!!!

 
At 7/26/2006 6:48 PM, Blogger Mehend said...

I am so proud of you for returning the utensils to the UC. What a feat! It always made me giggle every time we'd come across them when packing up to move to yet another apartment. Way to go! Gold Star!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home