.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Thursday, February 02, 2006

T-Hall Forever!


It takes a lot to get me mad. Even more to make me furious.
Regarding the following issue, I will be bitter 'til the day I die.

I will never forgive the people at The College of William & Mary who decided to rename Tercentenary Hall. We were proud to have a building on our campus that reflected our history rather than naming it after a financial donor. How many campuses in the U.S. could boast a 300 year history? We were the only ones. T-Hall, as it was affectionately known, was built in 1993 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Royal Charter issued by King William III and Queen Mary II. Only a few years later, the building was renamed McGlothlin-Street Hall just because some rich people gave The College money. "Mr. McGlothlin and Mr. Street, we thank you for your most generous gift to The College. In appreciation, we present you with this engraved plaque and our undying gratitude. We also plant this tree in your honor." That would have sufficed. But no-ooo, they had to get their name on a building that already had an excellent, honorable name. I felt that Margaret "Maggie" Thatcher was a traitor when she came to cut the ribbon.
There was a flurry of protests and multiple acts of vandalism to the sign in front of the building, wherein all the letter were removed except for the "T" in McGlothlin, the hypen, and "Hall." I wish I could say I was a part of the caper, but I was merely with them in spirit. There remained a sense of solidarity among the students who had been there in the days before the evil renaming. McGlothlin-Street became The-Name-We-Don't-Speak-Of and we tried to inspire a revolution among the remaining classes. But the incoming freshmen didn't give a darn. And so, like many grand traditions, that piece of history will be lost.

But it will always be T-Hall in my heart and on my lips.

1 Comments:

At 2/06/2006 2:30 PM, Blogger sarahanne said...

Shallcross reminded me of another incidence of vandalism on campus in response to the renaming of T-Hall. The academic building two buildings over had a sign that read "Ewell Hall". Someone crossed out "Ewell" and wrote "Your Name Here".
Brilliant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home