.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Monday, January 30, 2006

Handsome James

Another gorgeous baby - little James Marco Matta, born December 30, 2005.
It's so satisfying to know that there are children in the world who have wonderful and amazing parents who will raise them with unfailing love. It's incredibly satisfying to watch people I know and love and respect become parents and join the ranks of the heroes of this world.





I went out to CA in December to stay with Rachel (James' mom), my best friend from high school, in the last weeks of her pregnancy. If my plane ticket didn't expire in December, I would have held onto it so I could visit them after James was born.

In recent years, my friend Sarah and I have shared a heightened fascination with pregnancy and the birthing process. We used to watch those delivery room shows on the Discovery Channel, thumb through books at bookstores, and call our moms for answers to our questions.
When I was staying with Rachel, she went out of her way to add to my education. In addition to anecdotal information, she also checked "The Miracle of Life" and another, more graphic, birth DVD from the library. I watched, fascinated and horrified at the same time. I cringed and squirmed. I sat with my legs crossed. There was a point when I made my final decision: I'm going to adopt.
But then I look at Rachel and her new baby boy and see the beauty of it all. What an honor to be a woman and to have the ability to give birth to a child.

1 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 2:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"In recent years, my friend Sarah and I have shared a heightened fascination with pregnancy and the birthing process. We used to watch those delivery room shows on the Discovery Channel, thumb through books at bookstores, and call our moms for answers to our questions."

LOL. Who am I to tease, though... I've had my own season of "A Baby Story" addiction... The wedding story/baby story hour was quality TV programming! (When I watched years ago with my sis and mom.)

I remember one story where a couple was getting married post-conception, but they kept the pregnancy a secret from their minister because they were afraid he wouldn't marry them if he found out. There was the wedding, with the poor, unsuspecting minister with no clue he was marrying two sinners. (Gasp!)

Seriously though, I guess I can see the insecurity or embarrasment that comes with that sort of situation. I just thought it was goofy, because you'd think folks might want them to marry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home