.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Weddings


My brother is getting married in L.A. in October.
I've only heard a couple of details, but I'm reminded of the ridiculous cost of "the perfect wedding."
Screw perfect. Give me cheap and fun and I'm good to go. I can't even fathom spending $25k on one day. That's like saving up a year's salary to blow on 4 hours.

The dinner at their reception is around $100 per person. I told him he could pocket $100 and I'll do drive-thru Taco Bell.
Seriously, though. It's ridiculous for anyone to go into debt for a wedding - I don't think they are, but I know that a lot of people ending up doing so. Do it simple and save the $ for a house or something sensible.

Joyce's large Korean family cooked for the buffet at their reception. Sherri's son got married in someone's backyard. Karin asked a talented friend to do the photography. Exploitation of friends and relatives can be the key to a cheaper wedding.

9 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Word. Putting friends and family to work is pretty common, I think. I was the videographer for somebody, years ago.

 
At 2/02/2006 1:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Then again... I don't see where guys find the money for the ring! Yikes...

Not nearly as expensive, but still... I wonder if Michael's or other craft stores have do-it-yourself kits?

 
At 2/02/2006 2:27 PM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

Friends and family...too true. I had a friend call me just last night and I ended up volunteering to cater her wedding for 200! haha

she and I cooked for 150 for IV's fall retreat so I guess we both felt that only one meal instead of four wasn't that big of deal. However, after I got off the phone I though, "GULP".

 
At 2/02/2006 2:27 PM, Blogger Kristinmichelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2/03/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger sarahanne said...

I've never understood the whole $$$ thing about the whole engagement/wedding thing.
Sure, nice rings are nice rings, but there are plenty of nice rings that don't cost 6 months salary. I would be embarrassed to have something like that.

 
At 2/05/2006 1:32 AM, Blogger sarahanne said...

KC - I also recall your thought(fleeting though it may have been) of making your exit on jet skiis instead of a limo.

 
At 2/05/2006 6:20 PM, Blogger kc said...

i never wanted to flee on jet skiis. . . is there another KC?

i want to flee on a tandem bike.

 
At 2/06/2006 10:30 AM, Blogger sarahanne said...

Sorry KC, I keep thinking it was you who wanted the jet skiis, but i think it was someone else on the IVIS trip.

 
At 2/09/2006 4:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think helicopter is the way to go. I read someone else's account of that, and I was floored by the coolness factor.

OH!!!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!! If the couple are both runners, they can flee RUNNING. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home