.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Obligation, Revisited

Maybe this will help make some sense of my line of thinking in my "Jerk" post.
Another illustration on the theme: The obligatory “How are you?”
Often, if I know I’d be asking out of habit or social expectation, and I don’t want to force them to lie and say “fine” out of habit or social expectation, then I just don’t ask. If they ask first and I don’t want to lie and say “fine” then sometimes I won’t answer the question, but rather jump to the “Hi, good morning” and bypass the whole routine of insincerity.

I find some genuine satisfaction that at least I’m not lying and pretending I’m nice if I’m really not.

I hate being a hypocrite, so I'm trying to avoid it.

3 Comments:

At 11/08/2005 4:40 PM, Blogger Ceeece! said...

So, how are you doing? ;)

 
At 11/08/2005 4:49 PM, Blogger sarahanne said...

i'll say this: i've got my head above water but i'm not walking on it
; )

 
At 11/09/2005 4:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a good one!

Sometimes I'll say "OK" or "all right" or "good" in a speaking-in-faith sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home