.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I Speak Not Good English

I can’t imagine moving to another country and having to work a menial job just because my language skills aren’t very good. I know a guy from Ukraine whose degree is in biomedical engineering and he’s currently working the graveyard shift cleaning a mall because that’s the only kind of work he could get because he couldn’t speak English. It’s also interesting how – and confess to having done this – people will have skewed perceptions of people’s intelligence and skills because of language limitations. When I was in Germany, I could always tell when people thought I was just stupid because I wasn’t able to communicate well.
The Babelfish idea (see “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”) is brilliant, though disappointingly fictional. Noting, of course, that along with the fantastic experience of being able to understand everyone’s language through instant translation, we would then also be able to understand all their really horrible poetry.

2 Comments:

At 9/20/2005 2:21 PM, Blogger Ceeece! said...

"Do you UNDAHSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUF?!"

- Chris Tucker.

I couldn't resist. You are very right though. That is sad about the Ukrainian. I sooooo envied wanting a Babel fish while reading HGTTU. The Holy Spirit has actually helped missionaries in other countries to speak the native language. Go God!

 
At 9/21/2005 11:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

years ago I learned that the search engine Altavista had a tool for translating text and webpages, called Babelfish! I never understood the meaning until recently that chapter in the book! You can imagine my nerdy delight while reading that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home