.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

bad news, emily!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I’ve been feeling grumpy a lot more frequently these days. My main job is currently giving me little joy, save for the coffee & bagel breaks I take with my fave coworker K. Granted, I don’t drink coffee, but it’s good to get out of the often-frustrating office to chat with a friend and update each other on our lives. She leaves her lab and comes over to me at the front desk and says “Do you want to…” and before she finishes her sentence I blurt out “YES!” It’s pretty much a daily thing.
If you’ve ever seen the British version of “The Office”, I feel a lot like Dawn, sitting at the front desk, losing her mind from boredom and having to interact with annoying people. Like me, she keeps her sanity by crafting mischievous moments with certain coworkers. At least I have good rapport with most everyone in the office and enough of us share a similar sense of humor so that we can have some sarcastic fun with each other.
But so many of us here are in funks. There are some awkward & strained relationships among the people I work with and it can just be so… energy sucking to be in the middle of it. “Is it 5:00 YET?” we ask each other, some days as early as 10am. Heck, even our associate director asks me that same rhetorical question! The days drag. There’s busywork, but nothing interesting or challenging. Blah, blah, blah.
I know it’s no fun to read someone’s rambling complaints, but I guess it’s slightly less annoying than actually having me whine in someone’s ear. This way people have the option of skipping over this entire post. Which, in retrospect, I'd recommend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home